As a family, we have been trying to eat clean and healthy. We have replaced 4 meals in a week with salads and soups. Sundays are our cheat dinner days, and we try to stick to our meal plan for the rest of week. As a result, we are eating a lot more vegetables, very less oil and fewer carbs. To keep it interesting, I try to use colourful vegetables, a variation of chicken recipe combinations that are not bland or boring. However, what I love the most about this whole exercise is that it saves a lot of cooking time, as not much needs to be cooked when you are making a salad or soup, but that’s our secret! I especially love this recipe for poached chicken salad because it is very colourful and it is a burst of flavours and textures. Try it out and tell me how you like it by leaving a comment.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Poached chicken, boneless, 1 cup – cut into bite sized julienne
Bell peppers, red, green and yellow, 2 cups – cut into julienne
Cherry tomatoes, halved – 1 cup
Purple cabbage, 1/2 cup – shredded
Kale, 1/2 cup – cleaned and chopped
Roasted peanuts, 1/2 cup
Roasted sesame and nigella seeds, 1 teaspoon
Boiled chestnuts, 1 cup
Honey, 2 teaspoons
Seasoning: Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mixed herbs, olive oil, lemon juice
- In a huge salad bowl, add all the ingredients except seasoning, peanuts and roasted sesame and nigella seeds. Give it a good toss.
- In a small bowl, mix together the seasoning ingredients.
- Place peanuts and roasted sesame and nigella seeds in 2 different bowls.
- When serving, use a tong to plate the veggies and chicken, Drizzle some seasoning on top and give it a light toss. Finish with sprinkling the roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and nigella seeds.
- You can customise your salad by adding ingredients of your choice. To make it a little more filling, I sometimes add cooked barley. Since barley doesn’t have an outstanding flavour, it compliments the salad well.
- You can also add pasta of your choice to make a pasta salad.
- To make this colourful salad even more appealing, you can cut carrot into flower shapes and add to the salad.
Published: May 17, 2017 12:40 pm